Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Meeting the adjuster

The adjuster finally called. He'd meet me Monday at 10 am so I drove in Sunday to do some more clean-up and spend the night, being there to meet him Monday.

On the way in I stopped at Dorignac's Supermarket in Metairie. It was pretty much the same as always, except the deli was all self-service and the guy who bagged my groceries was older than I am. There's just no one around to do the minimum wage service jobs.

It isn't long before you notice that there are no kids in town. We need the kids back.

The air conditioners were both working when I got home & the house was 68 degrees. Probably never been that cold. Ever. Yeah, the smell in the kitched & in the bedroom areas were both better, but definately not gone. Off with the ac's; on with the attic fan. Lets try to pull this stuff right out of the house.

I pulled the schefflera (so that's how you spell it) out of the dark, boarded corner of the kitchen with the intention of throwing it out. Bunny was pretty sure that was the cause of the odor I'd reported in the kitchen. Amazingly the thing was still alive with a few green leaves. I brought it out in the light & poured some water on it. Can't kill that think, I guess.

Eventually the attic fan pulled most of the odor out of the house. I didn't smell the mold at all in the bedroom that night. And the kitchen got better every time I walked in there. I sprayed more Microban all over everything, so hopefully I killed the culprits. Still, when we go back we'll have to clean out the closet, because mold has started attacking the leather in the shoes.

The adjuster showed up Monday morning and stayed for 4 hours, going though everything in the house & office in great detail. Now it's just a waiting time. How much will they offer? How much more will it cost to make the repairs? How difficult will they be to deal with?

You hear such varied stories. One person got a phone call from the adjuster followed by a huge check. The next person was told they claimed too many clothes for people living in a condo, even though they had flooded & everything was ruined, and all the clothes were there in bags to be viewed by the adjuster.

I guess I'll just wait & see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home