Friday, September 16, 2005

I was instant messaging with Laura this morning before she went to class & she seemed pretty glum. I realized that emotionally she is still where I was back almost 2 weeks ago. I think it really helps to be here & see the changes day-by-day. When she left for college the news coming out of New Orleans couldn't have been much worse. Day-by-day things are getting better.


I’m optimistic at the moment that we can pull this thing off. That we can make New Orleans a better city than it was, with more opportunity for it’s citizens, without turning it into Atlanta.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if no one were allowed to build a slab house in the city ever again? Raised houses would ensure us against the next flood, and even provide that offstreet parking everyone lusts after in our crowded city with its narrow streets, as well as being a more authentic New Orleans design.

Good things can come out of this sadness and loss. We have to take advantage of this opportunity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randall said...

That's exactly what I was thinking!

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home