Sunday, April 30, 2006

A Lot has Happened

It's been 6 weeks since I've posted anything here. I've started to several times, but each time I've been unable to force myself to actually sit down at the computer and write. I've wondered at it and finally feel that I have a grasp on why:
  • During this interval I read Chris Rose's chronicle of his flame-out, spiral-in, burn-up, personal trip to Hell , 1 Dead in Attic . By the end I couldn't read another word about "The Thing", let alone write one.
  • On April 5, Lt. General Carl Strock, director of the Corps of Engineers, finally admitted the Corps' culpability in at least one of the levee breaches, the one that destroyed Lakeview and Mid-City.

    “We have now concluded we had problems with the design of the structure,” Strock told members of the subcommittee that finances Corps operations. “We had hoped that wasn’t the case, but we recognize it is the reality.”
  • We went to EHCT Easter weekend, as we have every year for the past 21 years but one -- 2005. (Hmm, could there be a connection?) There, in the midst of our friends who are more than friends, we talked and explained and blathered and probably bored them all to tears. But, being the wonderful people they are, they freely let us carry on. Sitting under the Mesquite trees, in the best weather we've had in all those 20 years, 600 miles from the nearest pile of Katrina-trash, I felt mysef recovering.
I just wasn't ready to go back to this blog & scratch my Katrina-scabs yet again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

Y'all had better not miss any more Kerrvilles-- NOLA can't handle the inevitable smote from God it would cause. As it is, I'm worried that Laura being absent this year may incur some wrath.

It was really great to see you. A bit of time in the woods does a lot to cure whatever ails you. Except for sunburn.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home